Spiritual Moral Social and Cultural Opportunities and Promoting British Values & Diversity
At Limpsfield Grange we provide many opportunities for our students to learn about other cultures, faiths religions and lifestyle choices, to prepare them for the next stage of their life. We actively promote Spiritual Moral Social and Cultural education through our curriculum, through educational visits and through extra-curricular activities. These activities have included:
- Visits to a places of worship
- A multi-cultural food festival featuring foods from around the world
- An arts festival featuring British artists
- Whole school events to mark major public celebration
- Students raising money for local charities
- Guest speakers in assemblies from local charities
- Whole school events at the local church
- Visitors from others faiths or who live alternative lifestyles talking to students about their beliefs and life choices.
Promoting British Values & Diversity at Limpsfield Grange
Schools are required to provide for the spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) development of their students. Part of this requirement means that they actively promote fundamental British Values and diversity. Fundamental British Values are defined as:
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect and Tolerance of Different Faiths and Beliefs
At Limpsfield Grange, our students have a wide range of needs which affect their social communication and interaction. Many of our students have difficulties with understanding themselves, with interpreting the actions and intentions of others and with processing information from the wider world. As a school we are committed to working together to enable our students to develop their knowledge and independence, their communication skills and their ability to manage their anxieties and emotions. When they leave us we want them to be confident, happy and ready for the next stage of their lives. We want them to become active adults who can function in, and contribute towards society. A shared understanding of fundamental British Values is essential to this process, as it enables our students to understand the world in which they live. British Values also compliment the Limpsfield Grange values, which are outlined below.
The Limpsfield Grange Values:
- At Limpsfield Grange we believe in working together to make a difference.
- We are a tolerant community; we accept value and understand others.
- We care for all members of our community without judgement.
- We are responsible for our own learning, behaviour and actions.
- We accept that sometimes things go wrong. We work together to take responsibility for our mistakes and for putting things right.
- We are a respectful community and we treat others as we would like to be treated, even if they have different views and opinions to our own.
- We understand that good behaviour helps us to prepare for life beyond Limpsfield Grange.
- We are positive and resilient. We celebrate difference in everything that we do.
- We are all proud to be part of the Limpsfield Grange community.
Promoting these fundamental British Values is now a central part of teaching and learning. By doing this, schools aim to help children and young people become well rounded members of society. These British Values are promoted throughout the curriculum and across the whole school. They are also reflected in the Limpsfield Grange values, ethos and policies, assemblies, special events and cultural celebrations. Below are some examples of how each of the fundamental British Values may be promoted at Limpsfield Grange.